- The caller calls from either the UK or the US and informs the Microsoft customer that there is supposedly a problem with some software on the computer or that they have indications that the customer has had recently some security problems.
- The caller claims to be from either a Microsoft Partner or a “Windows Service Center”.
- The caller speaks English but often with an accent.
- The caller will try to gain remote access to the computer e.g. by asking the customer to go to a – fraudulent – support website and download software or then send something by e-mail.
- Usually, if the customer is suspicious and starts asking questions, the caller hangs up